Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Silent Day, Silent Time - We Need One

Loving friends of Karmarati,

As much as possible, I have a silent day in each week. Well, obviously, not entirely silent because I have a few domestic things to take care of and the young one needs answers to all her questions.
Karmarati Studio is mostly closed during my "silent day".
In Vipassana tradition, this "silent" means completely silent, with no contact with the outer world, especially phones, internet and social media. When I took a course eleven years ago, silent days were included - we must be in a complete silent. Honestly, it was a torture in the beginning. I felt overwhelming with hidden emotions, disconnect beliefs and all kinds of demons that cannot be "expressed" out. A few things that I perceived as okay turned out to be a huge bundle of dissatisfaction in disguised.

While in silent time, we were given a mirror. We had to look at it and recognize who we really are and what we have been carrying. We can't look away. There is no place to hide, no distraction in a form of chatroom with our buddies, no mobile phone to call up a friend to discuss about the weather, just for the sake of having a discussion. Obviously, no social media where we can throw our tantrums or to post funny things in attempt to attract multiple comments and conversation.
Cannot kill the time and time goes very slow.
You are just going to have to stick with....YOU, and you alone.
And now I know that this is scary for most people. Many people can't even settle sitting alone in public places without feeling inadequate, or weird and awkward.

Since young, I have always been a solitaire, I have no issue hanging out just by myself. In fact, I like it that way, it is refreshing, I got genuinely curious :-D
Yet nowadays, silent day is a luxury for me. So, I decided to have silent hours instead.
It is the hour(s) I set for my quiet time, turn off my computer, hang up the "closed" sign, turn off the phones and write, scribble, doodle....on a piece of paper, old-school style. Well, demons still return in their many forms, but so do ideas. I befriend better with my dark corners now. They are not as scary as they used to look, the first time I met them a decade ago. And they actually showed what light truly is. I knew that only in the dark, I can see the distinguished light. Then, that sweet short bliss seeps in to my chest. A moment of surrender.

That silent hour becomes my creative hour now. And I cherish it to my soul. I love it. You will not be able to pull me out from my seat! Silent time brings numerous pleasant surprises for me. Not just during the intended meditation session, but in that silent me time. Once we try it, we would know that "me time" doesn't always require a long day in spa or other kinds of special pampering treats. It's that time of looking at the soul-mirror and loving what you see.
Self-acceptance.
Self-love.
Healthy expectations.
Soul orientation.
My purpose.
My rainbow.

You are welcome to try it :-)

Rainbow blessings.
Om Shanti, Thelma